Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back from Vacation...

My wife (Jeni) and I took our daughters (Maggie and Chloe) for a little vacation this last weekend. Our trip was basically designed around one thing...food. We have been dieting for the last two months so we took the opportunity to eat whatever we wanted.

I decided to do something for the first time on this trip and I engaged in one of those "menu challenges." You know that thing where if you eat this HUGE meal you get something for free. So I ordered the "AJ Gambler" a 35 ounce steak for $35. Eat the whole thing and get a free
t-shirt. I know, it doesn't seem like a great reward but still, I gave it a shot. My brother-in-law and my sister's boyfriend joined me in the challenge. Here are some things I learned:

1. If the food is bigger than your head you'd better be hungry.

2. Stay away from chips and salsa or anything else that will get in the way of the challenge food.

3. Medium-rare in a 35 ounce steak means raw...seriously, parts of my steak were cold. Opt instead for meduim-well to well done. The chef will butterfly your steak and the extra cooking shrinks the steak a good deal.

4. Walk away after the first gag...it will only get worse.

5. 35 ounces of steak is over 2 POUNDS. Even if you finish the steak it has to come out. This will not be pretty.

If I ever partake in this kind of foolishness again I will adhear to these lessons.

Anyone ever try this kind of thing?

2 comments:

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

nope, and I have a lump in my throat thinking about it. That is NASTY!!

jwitt said...

Did you win the shirt? I'm assuming you were unsuccessful.