Thursday, August 31, 2006

Caffeine

I love caffeine. Coffee, Diet Coke, Iced Tea...it doesn't matter. I love it. My new favorite form is the low carb Monster Energy drink. It is simply awesome. They have a 24 ounce XXL can that really packs in the caff.

There are two problems with this wonderful elixir. One I am not supposed to have caffeine as a result of a heart condition and two the can looks an awfully lot like a big can of beer.

Ok, for the first problem it really isn't a biggie. First of all what do doctors know about anything. How am I supposed to make it through a day with zero caffeine? I might as well not breathe. Secondly, I'm on medicine that keeps my heart beat under control, that's what its for. How do I know it's working if I don't drink caffeine?

The fact that it looks like a big ol' beer is a little more troubling. First of all, I am a recovering alcoholic. Then add on top of this that I work with Celebrate Recovery on the church staff and you can see why purchasing something that look even remotely like a beer gets my pulse racing. And don't forget I take medicine to make sure my pulse doesn't race. I am a huge beleiver that perception is reality, if someone sees me with what looks like a beer in my hand they will assume it was indeed a beer. That might not be fair, but it is true.

To make things even worse for me the energy drinks are almost always right next to the alcohol. I think this stems from the Red Bull and vodka thing, which by the way, never made sence to me. So say I'm in Vons and I need a little caffeine pick me up...to bad. They have it right next to the Buds and Coors and all of those guys. I won't go near that section.

All that to say I love Low Carb Monster Energy Drinks. I wish they looked less like a beer. I also wish my doctor would back off...what does he know anyway?

PS. I needed to look up the following words to make sure I spelled them right. Cafffeine, coffee, elixir, medicine and perception. I am a terrible speller which makes the fact that I majored in English even funnier...or is it more funny...

2 comments:

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

YES!!!! I love reading these every day. And don't worry, I'm the WORST speller and I'm going to school to be a teacher! HA HA HA!!!

Allison said...

It's funnier.