Monday, December 18, 2006

Baby Jesus...

Maggie gets it. She's two and a half, and she totally gets it.

I asked her what Christmas is all about and she said, "Santa brings me toys."

"Isn't Christmas about something else, too?" I asked.

"Baby Jesus."

I made fun of my wife for two things she bought this year. First she bought a Fisher Price nativity scene. Maggie loves it.

The second thing was a read aloud bible. I just thought Maggie was too young to get anything from it. Luckilly, not only did I marry out of my league, but my wife is also way smarter than me.

We've been reading the Christmas story to Maggie at least once a day for the last two weeks. She brings the book to us and says, "Read Baby Jesus story?"

How do you say no to that?

One day Jeni was reading it to Maggie when Maggie said, "I want to go to heaven with Baby Jesus."

Jeni told me it almost knocked her down. We've really struggled over what to teach our kids about Christmas. On the one hand, believing in Santa is a part of childhood. On the other hand, we want to teach our girls about Christ.

After this I asked Maggie if she loves Jesus, she said yes. She also said that so does Daddy, Mommy, Papa and CC (my mom and dad) and Santa. She said Santa and Jesus are friends. I think that is a cool mix.

You know, right now Maggie only knows that Jesus loves her. Because she's a kid her response is to love him back. She gets it. She hasn't been bogged down with doubt or theology. She hasn't yet tried to figure it all out. She feels loved and she responds with love.

I find myself wishing that I did the same thing. I really want to take some time out in this busy time of year to remind myself that Jesus loves me. It's so simple, but I forget.

It can be humbling when a two and a half year old teaches you things.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Abby Edwards thinks that Santa and Jesus are twin brothers. Since they were born on Christmas Day, she leaves them each a plate of birthday cookies and milk.

Cathi said...

I love this....it makes me excited to have kids someday (maybe).