Monday, September 11, 2006

Five years ago...

I don't think I can post about much until I mention 9/11. I for one am not ready for all of the movies and tv shows based on this tragedy. I don't know anyone that was hurt or killed in the attacks personally but they rocked me to the core. I spent the better part of that day between tears and prayers. I have no desire to relive the feelings that went through me by watching a fictional account of the events.

I think remembering the attacks and the people who died in them is important. I think it is our responsibility to remember the 343 firefighters who lost their lives that day in order to save others. These men and women ran into the World Trade Center as it was crumbling in the attempt to save who ever they could. That is heroism.

Our lives as Americans has forever been changed as a result of 9/11, there is no denying that. Before then most of us never worried about what color our threat level was at. Until then Anthrax was a band that did a rock-rap song with Public Enemy. Until then it wasn't necessary to arrive at the airport 3 hours ahead of take off to make it through security. Until then terrorism was something that happened to other countries, not America.

Are we any safer today than we were five years ago? I don't know. Men and women much smarter than me (I hope) are doing all they can to ensure our safety. I do know that when I see pictures of the World Trade Center in flames and collapsing my heart breaks and I loose my breath. I do know that families lost loved ones as a result of that day. I do know that 9/11 in all likelihood will never be forgotten. I know I won't forget.

No comments: