Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Haircut...

I just got a haircut and it got me thinking...What is the socially acceptable thing to do if you don't like your new haircut? Can you tell the person who cut your hair? Is that person a barber or a stylist? How can you tell?

Here's the thing, about two years ago I was trying to grow my out my hair. About once every three or four years I think having long hair would be cool. The thing is I always have short hair so when I try to grow it out it gets to this awkward stage, between long and short.

So two years ago I walked into Toni and Guy without an appointment and asked to get a haircut. This was a bad decision, a very bad one. I told the girl (stylist?) what I wanted and she told me she'd do, "one of my favorite long cuts." I agreed and she was off, chatting and cutting away.

If you've ever gotten a terrible haircut you know that moment when you can just tell that this haircut sucks. For me this was when she pulled out the hair drier. If you've told the stylist (?) that you don't want to spend any time on your hair and the girl pulls out a hair drier you know she didn't listen. I mean honestly...a hair drier? Please.

So as she's drying my hair I can tell this is a bad thing. I am pretty non-confrontational so I didn't say anything. I feel bad because she's so proud of this haircut. I look at the reflection in the mirror and I look like Carol Brady. I'm not kidding, this was bad news.

Now I got this haircut at lunch so I need to go back to work but no WAY am I going back looking like Carol Freaking Brady. I go home and luckily Jeni's home. She tried not to laugh at me but agreed that I should shave this mop off ASAP. I had a buzz for two years after that.

Anyway, I like the haircut I have now, but what is the acceptable thing to do? Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when you walk into a place called "toni and guy" you have to expect a hair dryer...and for the stylist to think she knows more than you do. she probably does, and I bet you look hot. however, I want you to be happy, so I say you shave your head.

matt mcgill