Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I have done my best to avoid making this blog all about my daughters and the cute things they do. I am totally one of those parents who could easily talk about nothing except my kids. They are awesome and make me laugh every day.

But I also appreciate that this can become tiresome to those who don't either a)know my kids or, b) have kids themselves. But I love being a dad. I love other dads who love being dads. I love hearing stories about other people's kids. Usually because then I get to tell a story about my kids and my kids are awesome. So here's a story about one of my kids...

Maggie is two and getting to be really funny. She knows how to make me laugh and has a good time doing it. Her vocabulary gets bigger every day and it amazes me when we have conversations.

Last night Maggie fell down...hard. Jeni and I aren't the kind of parents that freak out every time she falls down. She doesn't usually cry when she falls down. Last night she was running around and ran right into someone that didn't see her. It wasn't his fault but she went down hard and hit her head on this concrete bench. From my viewpoint it looked like she hit the corner and I thought we were for sure going to the hospital.

Luckily I was wrong. Although she face planted she just got a bump and a scrape on her forehead. My adrenaline was pumping and my heart was racing. It was scary. I could tell she was ok but I couldn't calm my body down. I was reminded of how much I love this little girl.

Maggie and Chloe are...I can't even think of the words, but I guess the best way to say it is, Everything.

I know this was a small thing, there wasn't even any blood, and I'm sure I'm overreacting, but it was such a good reminder to make sure I tell the girls I love them everyday and take care of them as much as possible.

I refuse to become that guy that follows his kids around making sure they don't get hurt. Maggie isn't going to start wearing a helmet. But I only have a few years to really take care of them and teach them that they are amazing kids. Last night was a good reminder.

2 comments:

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

I saw it happen and it scared the day lights out of me too. Especially the silent cry, it gets me every time.
Your kids are beautiful, and you are a great dad. Crap, that just felt so weird to refer to Johnny Baker as a dad...and a good one at that. Ahh to think back over all the days I could have laughed REALLY hard thinking one day you would have children...and GIRLS!!! Almost as hard as you thinking it wouldn't work out between Mark and I. Well at least one of us is right....or are we both???

Anonymous said...

My nieces are so lucky to have you for a dad!

Remind me to remind them of that when they turn thirteen and you won't let them date boys!!

Lulu